About Me

I am the proud mother of 6 children. 5 of our children have autism. We do not feel our world has ended, but just begun. We do not chelate, intervene biochemically, give shots of any kind, practice ABA, etc. We treat them as we treat any humanbeing. We treat them with kindness and respect and expect the same from them. They are exceptional children.

Blog Archive

Tuesday, September 19, 2006

One Can Only Dream....

I woke up this morning with my 12-year old standing over me...She asks me, "It is 7:10, why are you still asleep?". I told her, "because George Strait and I are grocery shopping together...".
She is our Asperger's child. To Deirdre, I am just plain weird. She is the on-time, can't be late for the bus child.
I told her I had her clothes laid out, go get dressed and I will get you breakfast. We had her out the door by 7:20. Bus came at 7:23. I know she is still mad at me.
But, I cannot help when I dream. I have dreamt big my whole life. I do not dream small dreams. I dream of George, John Travolta, John Goodman (whom I adore by the way), Oprah, Dr. Phil, etc.
I remember every dream and every detail of every dream.
I dreamed that we were on Extreme Makeover Home Edition. Ty Pennington showed up, and I refused to answer the door. I did not have a bra on....I won't do that to anyone. Not even Ty......
I dreamt that my parent's and myself were driving in Brooklyn. My father got lost and drove off a cliff (in Brooklyn?). I told them I loved them and would see them later....then the car hit the ground. We all survived.
I live large in real life. I give my all to all that come into our life. I try to be the best friend, wife, mother, daughter that I can be. I was not always this way. I was selfish. It was about me....
Now, I make a conscious effort to make it about others.
We have been blessed with 6 wonderful children. They are all unique and wonderfully blessed with their father's intelligence (thank God).
We have tried to keep the positive in our lives. This means having to rid our lives of toxic people (some of them relatives). We have enough to deal with in our home, we do not need anyone else's dysfunction.
We have an amazing group of friends. People who don't judge us. People who know when we might need a bit of help.
The only family member who is around is my mother. She does the best she can do. It is hard for her to watch her grandchildren. She doesn't understand the autism. But, I give her alot of credit for hanging in there.
The most positive motivator in my life, my husband. He gets up every morning after 4 to 5 hours of sleep, gets us off to school, goes to work. He comes home around 6pm, gets dressed and goes off to his second job. We get to see him on Saturdays. That is our family day...don't mess with us on Saturdays. He is our hero. He has never questioned why his children are autistic. He requires them to be the best they can be, NO MATTER WHAT!!!
I don't dream about having another life, just adding to my already incredible one. I don't dream that George Strait and I are on a date, just grocery shopping together. I don't dream that John Travolta and I are in love, just flying together in an airplane. All innocent meetings in innocent places.
One can only dream......

No comments: