About Me

I am the proud mother of 6 children. 5 of our children have autism. We do not feel our world has ended, but just begun. We do not chelate, intervene biochemically, give shots of any kind, practice ABA, etc. We treat them as we treat any humanbeing. We treat them with kindness and respect and expect the same from them. They are exceptional children.

Blog Archive

Wednesday, September 20, 2006

Munchausen by Autism...a satire?

I have come upon a disturbing trend amongst parent's of some autistic children. They call themselves "Recoverer's", but there is a whole underlying method to their madness....
I have pulled off of a pro-biochemical sight the following regimen of one such mother about her 3 1/2 year old child....no names are necessary, there are several of these parent's out there...
"I have used IV chelation, suppository chelation, oral chelation, transdermal chelation, all the minerals and supplements, yeast/bacteria aides, IVIG infusions for his immune system, HBOT, GFCF and the removal of 11 other foods."
Am I the only one that finds this frightening and highly suspicious?
Am I the only one who feels so badly for this little 3 1/2 year old boy, who has yet a chance to even enjoy life?

I find it very disturbing that ANY doctor (?) would allow so much to be done at such an early age.
Sadder yet,this child is just beginning his ordeal....supposedly he is recovered. I do not understand the term "recovered" if these parent's continue to put their children in such dangerous procedures.
Then to brag about it and have a whole fanbase of parent's is even more disturbing. "Lookie to what I am doing to my child, to remove the mercury from his little body".....
What about all of the chemicals that are being put into his little body? Or, the good metals being pulled out? But, unfortunately, to this little boy and many other children, this is the "normal".
I have recently read on an Autism Support Forum one mother ask if she should scope her 3 year old daughter, because of stomach aches. Amazingly, one of the more rational mother's brought up the fact that she has her on certain supplements, maybe that is causing the pain--Ya Think??????
The mother replied she should do the scope any way, to rule out anything else. This is for her NT child......DOES ANYONE ELSE GET WHAT I AM TRYING TO SAY??????
I cannot approach any of these "parent's", because they do not know the art of discussion. Only tacky jabs at those who do not agree with them.
I have spent way too much energy on these people. I need to give this energy to my children...
I shall now pray and hope the medical community "gets a clue" and stops allowing all of these procedures on young children. I will continue to pray for the recovery of these precious angels so their ordeals will end. I will pray the parent's finally look at them and are satisfied with who they are and whom they have the potential of becoming......

3 comments:

Ali said...

I completely agree with your thoughts. I was formerly a caregiver for 2 autistic children, and the mother was convinced that one was allergic to gluten, soy, milk, eggs, peanuts, red meat, pineapple, artificial sweeteners, rice, chocolate, seafood, and 2 other things that I can't remember. For breakfast he would have a disgusting concoction of juice with 7 different pills crushed up and emptied into it. Every day he had some sort of therapy, whether ABA or physical or whatever. He wore strong glasses which he hated and I doubt helped him if he did need them, as they were so scratched they couldn't be seen through. No normal food, no playing outside (apparently he couldn't regulate his temperature either), such a horrible life. You know the only time this little boy was ever happy is when he would get into my lunch when my back was turned and eat some normal food. I won't get into the blood draws, the daily shots of things, scoping, and the terrible things he was subjected to.

Anonymous said...

Wow, thank you. A family member of mine talks horribly about her kids (how they aren't normal, they have worms, they have parasites, they have tics & twitches, they stumble, they act out, they scream, they can't spell or read, on & on...even asking "why can't people see how not right these kids are" at one point)...it is so disturbing and so un-loving. Her kids are one big obsessive experiement for her. It has been stunning to watch this transpire over the last 5 years. She is angry because we won't talk about Autism with her. No thanks. I wish her and her beautiful kids nothing but happiness. And I won't be part of enabling her distorted thoughts about her kids or the suspicious world she lives in (of course, all these rare things always happen to her and her kids...). I honestly think you are so brave for speaking out about how we talk about and with our children.

Anonymous said...

I am living in this nightmare. Since our son was two, my [now]ex-wife has shopped for diagnoses of autism, developmental delay epilepsy, allergies and spends every day, on a never-ending quest to get him into therapies: ABA, speech, motor, and on and on. He is very small for his age and she makes him ride in a stroller, which she says he "requires," as his bubble to protect him from over-stimulation. On it she carries 15 pounds of first aid kits, diapers, epinephrine auto-injectors, pills, nasty gluten-free (and everything free) foods, and toys, all of which (she says) must accompany him everywhere he goes.

I understand that my son, who we agree is 'high functioning' has challenges, but I am convinced he would fare better without intervention---or at least without so much intervention. The problem is there is no end to my ex-wife's extremist behavior. She has boundless energy to fight anyone who opposes her, threatening lawsuits. She has made herself 'persona non gratis' in two school districts. She is militant and feeds from the mobilized network of similarly mobilized "Recoverer" mothers.

I couldn't live with her, but I felt so guilty for leaving that I agreed to pay alimony to her for six years (five more to go). She is a licensed attorney, but hasn't worked in ten years. She has all of the energy in the world to fight me and everyone who opposes her but has spent no effort trying to get a job. She's rendered my son uninsurable, and my biggest fear is that I will lose the medical coverage that I am able to extend to him.

On the surface, it would appear that she is a martyr, sacrificing her life for the welfare of her child, but really, I think she's hurting them. Can anyone recommend representation to me that will help me win full custody of my children?