About Me

I am the proud mother of 6 children. 5 of our children have autism. We do not feel our world has ended, but just begun. We do not chelate, intervene biochemically, give shots of any kind, practice ABA, etc. We treat them as we treat any humanbeing. We treat them with kindness and respect and expect the same from them. They are exceptional children.

Blog Archive

Friday, September 22, 2006

Autism....

I have real issues with the word Autism. I guess it is because we have 5 people in this house with the diagnosis.
Autism to me has been so negated. The word autism has taken legitamite people and made them a definition.
Medical doctors, and I truly question their credentials, have taken children who would never have fit the realm of autism and put them there.
And then, here comes the parent's. The ones that think they will fix or cure their children. The one's that read everything there is to read about autism. Whether it be true or not. The ones that cannot or will not have a child that is not the child they thought they should have gotten.
What did I ever do to deserve an autistic child????
I will tell you what autism is in our home....
Autism is...
1. beauty...in every one of the faces in our home.
2. intelligence...in the fact that every one of our children are the smartest people I know.
3. radiance...in the light that shines from the smiles of all of our children.
4. joy...in the fact that my children have never known pain inflicted from anyone who is supposed to love them.
5. respect...given to them from every person who meets them. Because Patrick and I will not except anything but....

Autism in our home is the norm..it is what our children have. Autism does not define our children, it is just part of them.

When I read posts, forums, support groups,etc from other parent's of autistic children, I get the feeling the parent's of these children were expecting a better child. A child that would be less trouble. A child who would be of higher quality.

I would not trade my children or their autism for anyone or anything. I know they will thrive no matter what.
You see, autism is not the end of the world in our home....it is the beginning of better things. It is what we are....and that is really OK...

No comments: