About Me

I am the proud mother of 6 children. 5 of our children have autism. We do not feel our world has ended, but just begun. We do not chelate, intervene biochemically, give shots of any kind, practice ABA, etc. We treat them as we treat any humanbeing. We treat them with kindness and respect and expect the same from them. They are exceptional children.

Blog Archive

Friday, October 06, 2006

The Question...

I got asked THE question today...the one that everyone asks me. Some people ask it to be smart asses. Some people ask it because they do not understand how anyone could do this....
The question is...Would you have had so many children if you knew they would be autistic?
My answer, without blinking, is ABSOLUTELY, WITHOUT A DOUBT !

I do not take offense to this question. I do not hesitate to answer it. I feel it is my obligation to do so.

I later found out the reason behind the question.
A teacher at the school my children attend, recently had a grandson. He is the light of her life. She finds he is very stiff when held. She finds he is not focused on his surroundings. She is worried.
This wonderful teacher has taught 3 of my children. I would put her right up there with a Saint. She cries every year at the annual Kindergarten circus...she loves these children.
She was curious about mine, because she is concerned about her own family.

Life is so full of surprises. That is what makes it so exciting. No person knows what life is going to bring them. Your life could change tomorrow at the blink of an eye. You must take each day and cherish it to it's fullest, no matter what kind of day you have.
My family has been through a lot. We have seen our house almost foreclosed on. We have come very close to bankruptcy. We have had to pay medical bills where we did not know how we could pay them.
I believe we have a Guardian Angel.

After our story was in USA Today, I read the blog written by a mother of an autistic child. She chastised me for having so many kids and so many after the diagnosis of autism. Of course, this was to her friends. She had no idea that I would ever read her comments. She told her fan base that we must be very selfish and how could we bring so many autistic children in this world. Children who would never know love or be able to give anything back to this world.....
Of course, me, with my big mouth and ego, wrote to this blog.
I wrote this....Shame on you for your words. You, the mother of an autistic child..You, who have never met or have heard of me before this story. There is no reason to pity my family. We are a very strong unit. We are thriving, no matter what anyone else wants to think....

When the USA Today story was being written, we opened our house to a reporter and a photographer. The photographer spent 2 days in our home. He was here for at least 14 hours. He was a lovely man. His name is H. Darr Beiser.
The last day he followed us to school, to show our morning routine. He kept up with us. Not an easy task. I gave him a hug goodbye in front of the school. I thought we would never see him again.
He showed up at my house later that day. His flight back to DC wasn't until the afternoon. He asked me if he could film me and tape me. I was happy to.
When he finished, he sat in front of me. He shook my hand and wouldn't let go. He said to me that he felt priveleged to be in our home. That he felt he was given an important job. He told me that he had never been around so much love before. Tears filled his eyes, and then they filled mine. I then knew that the job I am doing as a parent is good and I am doing a good job.
If you ever get to see the pictures on USA Today's site, you can see the way he captured us that he truly got us...and that is all that matters.

So, back to the QUESTION.....
ABSOLUTELY....Without a Doubt !!!!!

1 comment:

jeremiyah said...

There is an article that states that autism is non-existent in the Amish community. The ONLY exceptions are those families who adopted children who were forced to be vaccinated to come into the country. SIDS is also allegedly vaccine related.
You might do some research and at least be aware of the cause. There is a $100,000.00 offer for any M.D. to drink his comparative body weight in vaccine. It will never happen, unless some are given vaccines by force, just like they do to helpless children. We know several children who were bright, talking, normal children, who are now "autistic" (read, vaccine damaged.) Vaccines contain antifreeze, mercury and many other deadly components.
There is also some degree of detoxing possible, especially chelation, etc to remove the mercury.

Sincerely,
Jerry