About Me

I am the proud mother of 6 children. 5 of our children have autism. We do not feel our world has ended, but just begun. We do not chelate, intervene biochemically, give shots of any kind, practice ABA, etc. We treat them as we treat any humanbeing. We treat them with kindness and respect and expect the same from them. They are exceptional children.

Blog Archive

Monday, October 23, 2006

Low-Dose Birth Control...Or, Don't Hate Me Because I'm Fertile....

http://www.usatoday.com/life/gallery/2005/autism/flash.htm

If you can look at the pictures taken by H. Darr Beiser, with USA Today, you will understand why I am not concerned why the fact that my low-dose birth control did not work. Every one of these precious children were born to a husband and wife who wanted each and every one of them.
What newspaper articles and television shows did not mention is the fact that we miscarried one child before Erin and Kiernan was originally a twin. Losing both of those unborn children was very hard on our family. I would have loved to have 8 children.
I feel badly for women who have a hard time conceiving. How sad it must be to fight a body that does not want to carry a child. I would be a surrogate mother in a heartbeat...but Kiernan was a c-section and they advised us against any more children.
My husband then went under the knife and that is taken care of-snip snip.....
My husband is very involved in all the children. He has gone to every doctor and dentist appointment from day one. He took these precious children to all of their therapy appointments. I stayed home with my daycare or the other children. He is a hands-on daddy and very proud of his large family.
We don't require alot of extras to be happy in this house. We are so happy just to sit around and play board games on a Saturday.
We are accepted in our community and church. We are complemented often on the behaviors of our children. Our children have come a long way....they have gone from screaming out-0f-control babies and toddlers to charming and well-behaved children. With the exception of Kiernan...he still loves to scream in the grocery store.

Back to the low-dose bc in question....I was on the low-dose, because I was breast-feeding my little lovelies. I could not breast feed and take a higher dose pill.
Fortunately, my husband or myself are very fertile. Otherwise, I would not have my wonderful children.
The fact that the majority are autistic bothers some people....oh well....I cannot please everyone, nor would I want to. If you are so unhappy in your life, I am sorry. Please do not bring me into that abyss.

So, as you look through the slide show of my children...remember each one was wanted and each one is loved for the individual they are.....

1 comment:

Maggie Rosethorn said...

They are beautiful and you have a lovely family. If all the children in the family are loved and wanted, that's what is important, no matter how many children there are....1 or 21. Bless you for showing them.