About Me

I am the proud mother of 6 children. 5 of our children have autism. We do not feel our world has ended, but just begun. We do not chelate, intervene biochemically, give shots of any kind, practice ABA, etc. We treat them as we treat any humanbeing. We treat them with kindness and respect and expect the same from them. They are exceptional children.

Saturday, March 21, 2009

WARRIOR MOM...

My definition of a Warrior Mom...

A mother who does not depend on Jenny McCarthy to define them.
I have an 18 year old daughter who needs to be able to attend college. How will anyone take
me seriously when Oprah has a Playboy Bunny preaching the cures of Autism?
A mother who fights tooth and nail at an IEP meeting so their child gets the respect and education they deserve. A mother who does not negate or ridicule another mother because they do not think the way they do.
A mother who does not feel the need to call another mother's employer because they disagree on the way to treat their autistic child...yes, people....this happens.
A mother who does not make assumptions of another mother because they do not do biomedical treatments.

I was on the phone tonight with a mother of a 23 year old man with autism. We spoke about how we were blessed not to have the Autism drama 18 plus years ago when we had to start parenting our adults with autism. We spoke about the new parent's coming into the world of Autism and how much they have to deal with the drama of Age Of Autism ,Generation Rescue and the other propaganda sites that will draw you in.

A Warrior Mom is a mom who loves their child unconditionally. Who wants them to have all of the advantages of other children. Who beams when they walk in a room.

I am a proud, card-carrying Warrior Mom...but not by the definition of Oprah and Jenny. But, by the definitions of all of the Warrior Moms that came before me. The ones who are raising amazing adults with Autism. The ones who are not looking for a "cure" or "recovery" but the ones looking to find respect and dignity for their adults with Autism...

God Bless You Warrior Moms...you lead the way...I am very close behind.

14 comments:

Anonymous said...

I think all we mums should practice beaming!
Cheers

tiffrutherf said...

I wanted to ask you a question but I cant put it on the blog..Help!!

Anonymous said...

This is a comment posted by a Dad on another site. I think he says it well and says it all about McCarthy.

1:19 AM Honored to be a Father Says:

Well, if Jenny McCarthy has discovered the cure for Autism then it should work for all our children with Autism. I am the parent of a child who has autism. To my understanding there is no cure. We have tried diets, chelation, therapy, you name it we have tried it.

My son is beautiful but he still has autism and remains on the spectrum. What Ms. McCarthy is doing is mimicking the sleaze that she came from. She is re-kickstarting her career at the expense of disabled children. Does anyone consider her a fine human being???

If she has discovered a cure then all of our children would be cured. This woman is a farce.

mommy~dearest said...

Beautiful post- from one Warrior Mom to another.

walking said...

I am a warrior mom as defined by your post! Awesome!!!!!

Janet said...

Beautifully written! I wish we didn't have so much media attention focused on autism. It would make my son's life easier (he's an Aspie) if people would just think he was quirky and let it go at that. He doesn't need special accomodation (although we have a niece with sever classical autism who does need accomodation). I am so thankful for the parents and special children who've gone before us and made our journey smoother. I wish some of the more sensational parents of children on the spectrum would drop off the media radar forever! There is no easy (or difficult) cure for autism.

Julie said...

=) I love what you have written here. thankyou!

Anonymous said...

It feels like you are being judgmental. You can celebrate what you love about your own motherhood and your own choices, without putting other moms down who choose differently.

Anonymous said...

you should consider at the very least having your child tested for immune dysfunction, inflammation markers and chronic underlying infections before you form an opinion about biomedical treatments. So glad I did. My son is now recovered at age 16. By the way, are you paid by pharma or the AAP? What are your motives?

Mom26children said...

Oh My ANONYMOUS...
Who are you Paid by???

What a stupid question !!!

Why don't you tell me who you really are and we can see who employs you !!

Ahhh, that's right...
cowards like you like to hide behind Anonymous...

Carry on!!

Anonymous said...

I work for a consulting firm that specializes in senior care. You shouldn't be offended by my question, there are many paid to "Blog" by the pharmaceutical industry. And why wouldn't we want our children to be well? I spent months researching my son's condition, and found he was medically sick. And now he's well and catching up developmentally by leaps and bounds. It just doesn't seem normal or sincere for anyone - especially a parent with a special needs child - to have such a strong opinion of another parent of a special needs child. And I am Anon. #2, did not write the first post by Anon #1.

Anonymous said...

By the way, the cure for my son was very complicated...it was a process of bringing down the chronic neuroinflammation, fixing his immune system and refining his neurological system. It took 6 years. It wasn't easy, but I am darn glad I did it. I sincerely wish and hope that all affected children can experience the relief that my son has.

Mom26children said...

Anonymous,
First and foremost...if you son was truly autistic, he would not be able to be "recovered"..that is a term used by DAN doctors..
I truly do not doubt your son has underlying medical issues, but they have nothing to do with Autism.
Autism is not a fly-by-night diagnosis that comes and goes. It is a life-long disability.
I am glad your son is doing better. Is he totally mainstreamed now without a diagnosis at all.
We have 3 of our children who have gone from being in fully contained classrooms to being fully inclusioned without support.
Do they still have autism? You betcha...are they indistinguishable from their peers.??
You better believe no one knows they have autism.
AND...
I am tickled every time an Anonymous commenter comments, it is the same old "paid by Pharma" crap...
You guys really need to come up with something new ;)...

A Legion for Liam said...

LOVE your post! Sharing on my autism fb page <3