About Me

I am the proud mother of 6 children. 5 of our children have autism. We do not feel our world has ended, but just begun. We do not chelate, intervene biochemically, give shots of any kind, practice ABA, etc. We treat them as we treat any humanbeing. We treat them with kindness and respect and expect the same from them. They are exceptional children.

Friday, August 25, 2006

Keeping My Cool

I have just read a local autism support groups emails from today. I am trying so hard to keep my cool and not just tell them what I think. Please stop me....
A mother who insists both of her children have autism, without a dr. diagnosis, is complaining because her husband is putting a stop to her chelating, ABA, biomedical crap. They have spent $56,000.00 just this year.
She has 2 of the most beautiful children I have ever met. The little boy wants to know why he is different from the other kids. She tells him that he has autism and she is going to make him better. Better than What? That is what I want to know. She has convinced her 3 year old daughter that she is recovered from autism.
She also wrote today that ABA is known for recovering children. Please send me proof. I need PROOF.
I say Amen to parent's like Soapbox Mom. I thank God I found her blog so that I know there are sane people our there.
We, as parent's, did not ask for autistic children. But, I really do not think my children would be who they are without autism. They are creative, funny, quirky, loving, adorable, caring humans. I hope that we had alot to do with that. I know ABA, biomedical interventions or chelation didn't.
More power to us parent's who love our children for not being "normal". More power to our children for teaching us that it is okay to be above the
"normal".

3 comments:

little bo peep said...

Hey, Mom 26 -

We're another family that just adores our autistic son. No fixes here, just good, clean love and lots of fun. Thanks for your stories about your family.

Mom26children said...

Hi Little Bo Peep,
You do not know how happy I am to find families like yours. All I hear is that I am in denial, or I don't know enough to comment.
We have been in the autistic world for 13 years. I think by now we are experts.
Cure and Recovery are not in our vocabulary. Love and Respect are.
Glad to meet you and I hope to get to know you and your family better.
Jeanette

Anonymous said...

I think it is likely true all parents are doing the best they can for their individual children - and it is wrong to think all the children are the same just because they have been given the same label.

My son told me he felt better after having IV chelation. He was too dehydrated to get an IV one day - and my son offered to let the doctor try the other arm and that was unsuccessful, too. When I put him to bed that night he told me, "I'm really sorry I couldn't get my medicine today, it really makes me feel better"

I'm all for accepting children as they are. But, I can't and won't accept my son being ill. I didn't run out and do IV chelation willy-nilly, I had data that showed my son was mercury and lead toxic. I drug my feet a very long time before I did IV chelation. Now, I wished I hadn't waited so long.

If any one's opinion of biomedical interventions matters to me, it is my kid's. I'm grateful he chose to give me his opinion, all by himself.