About Me

I am the proud mother of 6 children. 5 of our children have autism. We do not feel our world has ended, but just begun. We do not chelate, intervene biochemically, give shots of any kind, practice ABA, etc. We treat them as we treat any humanbeing. We treat them with kindness and respect and expect the same from them. They are exceptional children.

Friday, April 04, 2008

DEIRDRE'S POEM...

Deirdre wrote this poem when she was 8 years old. She wrote it for the 4th grade
talent show....she is now 13....
This was written before we knew Deirdre was diagnosed with Asperger's...

'My Autistic Sister'
Autism silences your beautiful voice

From telling me what you are feeling
What causes you to laugh
When I don't get the joke
To the tears you shed
When I don't know your pain
Or your favorite song
andWhen you hug me
when youFear the thunderstorms
Not knowing what torments you so often

Keeps me from comforting you.
Although autism silences your voice

I see love in your gleaming smile.
Even though I don't get your joke
I find myself laughing myself to tears
Just to see joy emblazoned on your face.
You are my sisterAnd that is what defines you

Not AUTISM.

Needless to say, there was not a dry eye in the house.


6 comments:

Maddy said...

Special kids, special sibs.
BEst wishes

Anonymous said...

That was very pretty, Jeanette, she has wonderful insight and empathy.

Lillian

Casdok said...

That was beautiful.

Anonymous said...

Wow - that was a wonderful poem.

Anonymous said...

Thanks for sharing this, I had to reach for the Kleenex box...

hopinandprayin said...

Deirdre's Poem was beautiful. I'm sure your very proud of her.