About Me

I am the proud mother of 6 children. 5 of our children have autism. We do not feel our world has ended, but just begun. We do not chelate, intervene biochemically, give shots of any kind, practice ABA, etc. We treat them as we treat any humanbeing. We treat them with kindness and respect and expect the same from them. They are exceptional children.

Wednesday, March 14, 2007

What are Parent's Looking For????

I must admit, I am stumped....

I am stumped by what I read from parent's of autistic children...what the heck are you looking for from your children?
Are you looking for a child who is accepted in the community?
Are you looking for a verbal child?
Are you looking for a happy child?
Are you looking for a calm child?
Are you looking for a child that fits into the norm of what society calls normal?

When Caitlin was diagnosed with autism almost 15 years ago, we felt lost. We looked for all of the answers. Unfortunately, there were not that many to our questions.
We read and read about autism. I thank goodness there was not much out there in the means of what they are offering now.

By the time Erin was diagnosed, we realized that our world would be okay. We realized that we had a rocky road with Erin, but with maturity, OT and Speech, she would get better. We also made sure Erin got extensive play therapy and Physical therapy. That worked for Caitlin as well.

Patrick showed autistic tendencies by 18 months and Kiernan by 12 months. We intervened immediately with both. They had in-home therapies and then Early Childhood.

For no reason at all, Erin and Patrick have come out of their severity....
Caitlin is still severe, but very functional and will contribute to society in some form...that is up to her.
We have no idea about Kiernan yet....he has so much further to go. He will get there.
Just this week he said, MAMA.....OMG.....who'd have thought....

Deirdre is a whole other story. Asperger's is just a different way of saying BRILLIANT. She will be of no worries to her father or myself.

Kiernan is sitting beside me, lining up his toys in an orderly fashion, calm as he can be.
Occasionally he is flapping and buzzing. I like this time with him.
Who am I to say this in inappropriate behavior?
Caitlin is upstairs, creating a beautiful portrait in her new art room....I hope some day to share her art with the world....

I volunteer at our school and have seen what society call normal. Believe me, I am much happier with what we have at home.

No comments: