About Me

I am the proud mother of 6 children. 5 of our children have autism. We do not feel our world has ended, but just begun. We do not chelate, intervene biochemically, give shots of any kind, practice ABA, etc. We treat them as we treat any humanbeing. We treat them with kindness and respect and expect the same from them. They are exceptional children.

Friday, March 09, 2007

GENIOUS....

GENIOUS...that is how I describe my child Deirdre...pure GENIOUS.

Deirdre is home sick today, she just doesn't feel well.
I was cleaning up the morning mess and Deirdre comes downstairs. She stands there as if she wants to ask me a question..that is how she does it.
I asked her what was on her mind.
She says, and I quote, "Mom, do you think there should be a cure for autism?"
I explain to Deirdre that I do not believe there will be a cure, but people are really trying to find one...
Deirdre asks me, "why do they want to find a cure for something that is not a disease?"
I explain that there are people out there who believe it is cureable.
I then ask my Deirdre, "Do you think there should be a cure?"
"Do you think you should be any different than you are?"

After a second of thought, Deirdre replied, "I think I am just fine the way I am".

PURE GENIOUS........

She then told me she found out about this on Wikipedia....she told me there were people out there that were just like her. She found Aspies For Freedom, she found Neurodiversity.com, she found Right Brain/Left Brain....she has found a place for her feelings and intelligence.
You see, sometimes (just sometimes), I am not as smart as Deirdre...hard to believe, I know!

If you see Deirdre out there in Acceptance Land, give her a shout....
She is a great kid with an amazing mind.
PURE GENIOUS......

6 comments:

MOTHER OF MANY said...

Hi
I am a mother of 6 girls, 3 on the spectrum, 3 not so you would notice.
I also believe that autism is not a disease and we all come somewhere on the spectrum,some higher....some lower.So what is normal? Who decides what is normal? If we are all on the spectrum then we are all normal!

Mom26children said...

Mother of many,
Can you give me an AMEN and HALLELUJAH......
You have hit the proverbial nail on the head...
Thank you, thank you, thank you....
We must chat sometime about the perils of a larger family. I find that more challenging than autism at times.
Bill, I would love to hear your comments on the big family discussion....

MOTHER OF MANY said...

Who is Bill?

LIVSPARENTS said...

I don't have a single normal kid on the basketball team of 5! The last two being on the 'spectrum' just makes it harder to remember what's supposed to be normal and what is not...

LIVSPARENTS said...

I'm Bill BTW M.O.M.... Husband, father, part-time sane person. Autism is not the disease... parenting is... you have to be sick to go past 3 kids!

MOTHER OF MANY said...

Hi Bill
I never planned a large family,it was a natural decision after being widowed quite young and marrying again.
And yes I suppose you could say I was sick or insane but then don't they say insanity is inherited.........from your children(no matter how many you have!).
You are so right about autism not being a disease.I would say that my girls see the world differently but
how boring if we all saw the world the same way.I have a Welsh and history degree,I have one daughter who is a Russian & French university graduate and works in a science institute in Austria, an English graduate who is about to enter teaching in Florida, a daughter who is doing an art degree and wants to be an art therapist, a daughter who will start an Arabic degree in September, a 15 year old who also wants to do an art degree but she wants to run her own art studio and a 6 year old who hasn't long started school.
What diversity and all in one family!
I have checked out your blog and it looks interesting, I shall bookmark it so I can stop by again.
Best Wishes
Allyson