About Me

I am the proud mother of 6 children. 5 of our children have autism. We do not feel our world has ended, but just begun. We do not chelate, intervene biochemically, give shots of any kind, practice ABA, etc. We treat them as we treat any humanbeing. We treat them with kindness and respect and expect the same from them. They are exceptional children.

Friday, March 16, 2007

I Saw Into My Future...

Today I went to the grocery store with 4 of my 6 darlings. Not an easy fete, but if I give Kiernan a donut with sprinkles, we do great.
I was walking by the deli, buying potato salad and cole slaw for after our garage sale tomorrow. I need to feed these great college kids who are helping us out tomorrow. I noticed a very tall, very handsome young man. He was buzzing while he was walking and flapping his hands in front of his face. I was pleased to see him and instantly thougth "AUTISTIC".
I finished my shopping and was going down my last aisle. I saw this very pretty woman and next to her was the handsome young man I had seen earlier. The lady and I made eye contact and then smiled at each other. She knew and I knew.
Later, at the check-out counter, while unloading my groceries onto the conveyor belt, this lovely woman approaches me. She said, "congratulations on the home, I hope you are enjoying it.". I told her we were and thanked her. She then introduced me to her son, Robert. She told me Robert was also autistic. I told her that I saw him earlier and had guessed that.
Robert shook my hand and got very excited when he found out we got the Extreme Makeover house. He had watched it on television.
I told his mom about the garage sale and to bring Robert by tomorrow and he could come inside to see the house. I told Robert about the trampoline room. He seemed pleased about that.
I asked what school Robert attended and his mother told me he was no longer in school. He was 21 years old. She homeschooled him from the 5th grade on up. I asked if he lived at home and she replied that he did.
Robert held eye contact with me while he talked to me. He was very pleasant in his speaking voice and I was thrilled to have met him. I hope to get to know this family better.
What a gift that was for me to meet Robert today. It gives me so much hope for all of my children, but especially Caitlin and Kiernan.
Thank you Robert...I got to see a bit into my future....I hope it is as shiny as yours.

2 comments:

Phoebe said...

you go Robert! and you go, Robert's mom!

(I hope that's my future as well - my autistic son is four.)

Mom26children said...

Hi Phoebe,
I hope that your son's future is so bright also....
Just keep up what you think is correct and it will happen.
Four is so young...he can only get better.
Jeanette