About Me

I am the proud mother of 6 children. 5 of our children have autism. We do not feel our world has ended, but just begun. We do not chelate, intervene biochemically, give shots of any kind, practice ABA, etc. We treat them as we treat any humanbeing. We treat them with kindness and respect and expect the same from them. They are exceptional children.

Sunday, July 08, 2007

AND THE SURVEY SAYS....

Okay, now we have a problem.....I read this morning on the Autism Web that they are stating that 1 in 58 children in Great Britain have Autism. Why don't we just say that EVERYONE has a form of Autism?

If the spectrum is going to include OCD, ADD, ADHD, Bi-Polar, Classic Autism, PDD-NOS, ODD, etc...then every human being will fit into the Autism Spectrum.

The world consists of a diverse group of people. Some people are obsessive compulsive...for example, obsessing on every negative story written about Autism or writing about people or groups of people negatively, because they do not agree with you.

Some people are defiant against everything from cooking dinner to opposing the War in Iraq.

I know some adults who are so hyperactive, they cannot sit and enjoy time with their own families.

There are many ADD adults out there who cannot focus on one activity at a time....myself included, although, I am self-diagnosed....

There are children who do not fit into what society calls "normal", so they are given a diagnosis of PDD-NOS....that dx has always ticked me off.....

And I know more undiagnosed Bi-polar people than I can count on both hands and feet.....



There are so many mothers that are medicated with anti-depressants....why the heck do you think your children would not have some sort of disorder, if you yourself do? I am not saying you should not be medicated to control your depression...I am just saying that your child may have the same symptoms you do.....



We have become a society of "LABELS"...we feel the need to put names on people for no reason other than we do not agree with someone.....

I am quite fond of the labels given to me from one lovely Googlywhatever......

"Attention Whore", "moron", "idiot", "nauseating", "free-loading".....
This person, who does not know me from Adam, feels that I use my children to get their checks....big bucks there folks...
That I am a moron for not accepting Dr. Wakefield's help...again, Googly...has no idea what was offered to my family and why this did not come into fruition...but, that is my business with the Thoughtful House, not Googly......
I am an idiot for accepting my children's Autism....we know my stance on that one...but, I question why every child who has had chelation in their rectum now has some sort of bowel disorder?
Nauseating...well, that is a personal choice...I will give that one to them....I can see where this person would find me nauseating, but what I do not see is why they would subject themselves to reading my blog if it makes them "ill".
Attention Whore...you better believe it...if I can educate parent's of Autistic children to learn to embrace their children's diversities and uniqueness, instead of trying to "cure" them...then, more power to ME...
Googly... also states that there is no proof of what I say....
BULL...I have proof right here in my home. I have functioning Autistic children. I have children that are successful in school, the community, church, social activities, and in life. These children are thriving...can you say the same about yours?
What you saw on television was 45 minutes...it was taken out of 100s of hours of video tape. I would love for other's to see how my children handled skiing, plane trips, eating out in public, etc...all, by the way, without one hitch.....(except when Caitlin got sad when her caregiver had to leave early because of a family emergency....she cried because she was really sad...she has come so far).



In our home, the number is 5 in 6 children have a form of Autism. 13 years ago, just 2 would have been diagnosed. But, because the diagnosis criteria has changes so drastically, 5 of our children can fit the diagnosis.



Every person in the world has a uniqueness that makes them who they are. Because society will not conform to these unique people, they feel they must label them.

If everyone fits into the spectrum, then Autism will be the norm and Normal will be the disability.



My questions are:

1. Why are the numbers continuing to rise if the thimerosal has been reduced or discontinued in the process of making the vaccinations?

2. When are they going to go back and start from square 1 on how to diagnose Autistic children?

3. When are people and parent's going to accept that we are all born with amazing gifts that do not always conform to what we want them to be?

4. When are doctors going to stop handing out the diagnosis of Autism like handing out the lollipops or stickers at the end of the visit?

5. When are educators going to learn how to truly educate our children as individuals and not as a group in whole? All children learn at a different pace....ALL CHILDREN.

6. When is the Autism community going to rally together instead of backstabbing, insinuations, and downright negating others on public and private forums? We all have a common bond and need to learn from each other....

So back to the original premise of my post....
In the near future, will everyone be able to have the diagnosis of Autism...?

AND THE SURVEY SAYS.....

19 comments:

Anonymous said...

I think that the labels are important... It's unfortunate that its become hip to be "Insert label of choice"
as far as the people you mentioned. You have to understand about internet Trolls.. don't take them seriously... block them whatever you got to do..
I have had the feeling lately that things in the autism online community is looking more and more like a soap opera or maybe world wrestling... but such is life... people are people and not saints.

Mom26children said...

Hi vicky,
Oh, I am not looking for Saints, just non-judgmental. I am the furthest thing from a Saint their is...but I do not use name-calling. That would set me back to jr. high school...a place I never want to go again.
I do not mind the trolls commenting. These people give me ideas for blogging. It is when they are hateful or hurtful to others on my comments, I would draw the line...
Sometimes, their comments do nothing but show their ignorance..they do not need my help with that.
Thanks for your comment...it is appreciated.
Jeanette

John Best said...

Mom, I can only answer one of your questions. TheY replaced the HepB shot laced with thimerosal with the flu shot for pregnant women. They knew it would do the same damage to babies' brains. By taking out the less dangerous doses of thimerosal that were given after a baby had a Blood Brain Barrier anyhow, they got good PR to make it seem they were doing the right thing. This fooled some of the people. It didn't fool me.
The largest rise in autism numbers happened in conjunction with the advent of the HepB on the day of birth. This wasn't lost on drug company scientists as they tried to coverup their mistake.

Usethebrains Godgiveyou said...

Uhm...could I have an Aspergers diagnosis with a touch of OCD and, eh, uhm....maybe give me a little of that manic depression over there??? Why don't you add a dollop of ADD...

Thanks!

Not to belittle any diagnosis, but...when are people going to figure out we are all on the HUMAN spectrum. It's forgetting that which makes life hard for others.

Maddy said...

Oh dear! I'm sorry that some unpleasant person has been giving you unnecessary grief.
Best wishes

John Best said...

RB, Talk to Amanda Baggs to find out how to get diagnosed when there's nothing wrong with you.

Joeymom said...

Couple of things- as I've told Mr. john before, I never had a flu shot (ever). My kid never had any thimerasol. Yet here we are.

Also, the ASD diagnosis is not just handed out like candy around here. My Joey would probably not have been diagnosed as autistic a decade ago- I would probably have been told he was mentally retarded (and what a disaster that would have been!) because f his communication disorder. However, my other little guy, who also has sensory issues, is not autistic. Our docs have had plenty of opportunity to stick him with ASD labels, but they haven't- because he's not. SID is not ASD. Andy is NT, with sensory issues (just like his Mommy!)

Consequently, he'll get no leeway in school. I plan to buying him some ear plugs to eat in the cafeteria when he gets older.

Sorry about the trolls that have been bugging you. Trolls suck.

Anonymous said...

Regarding question # 4, I never had the sense that doctors were liberally handing out an autism diagnosis. Most of the parents I've heard from (IRL or net) in fact, share a similar story- of concerns repeatedly brushed off, about their child's development, followed by a later diagnosis.
My own son could have easily been diagnosed at least 1 year earlier. I think , on the contrary, that more aggressive screening for ASD should be promoted, so they don't make the same mistake we did, of thinking of autism only in its most severe, "classic" form.


Lillian

MOTHER OF MANY said...

One day they will find the cause of many illnesses and conditions in the same way that they did with smoking causing lung cancer and the drug Thalidomide causing deformities.As a nurse I have seen medical and nursing care change dramatically in many areas since I started nurses training in 1980.And what will the medical profession say when they have this new found knowledge? They will tell you that they were using the knowledge that was available to them at that time.
In the first world war many men were Shot At Dawn for cowardice but their records clearly show that they were suffering from shell shock,depression and post traumatic stress disorder. They were aware of the conditions of shell shock and depression at the time but Powers- That-Be at the moment say we shouldn't judge the past on the knowledge we have today and the men who were shot should not be pardoned.
Even before I had a child that was diagnosed as profoundly autistic I was aware of pollution in it's many forms and how this is not good for the human.I was aware of medication having MANY adverse effects, very high temperatures from infections causing irreparable damage to the human brain and genetic disorders that were difficult to diagnose.
The way forward is definitely accepting everyone as they are and certain parts of the autism community to put a lid on the in-house fighting.
Best Wishes.

Usethebrains Godgiveyou said...

My mother-in-law was told when each of her boys were in kindergarten that they were "mentally retarded". She just thought the teacher was full of shit, which she was. One is an author/state education administrator, one is nearly a CPA. Now, they would be declared "autistic", but neither would accept the label, as they've found ways to survive and thrive. When it gets down to one in 20 or 30 in a 1000, you're going to be including a lot of really bright kids who are just different. Beings as how the institution of education has little idea how to teach kids with a more severe label, they are going to be clueless that it's not what strategy you use...it's who you are as a teacher that determines your student's success. There isn't a class that teaches teachers how to be kind, accepting, and to believe in their kids.

There is good and bad to labeling, and the stigma associated doesn't take into account the gifts of autism. It can become an excuse for lazy teachers not to try.

I'm not belittling labels when they are helpful. When they truly start taking into account dysgraphia, dyscalculia, and other disabilities and take those into account...I'll be the first one on the bandwagon for labels.

Domestic Goddess said...

Labels. Such a hot topic. I personally don't care WHAT it is called as long as they receive what they need. I've had to use the labels to point out the obvious with my children and their schools in order to get the appropriate amount of services. I personally do not have a problem with them. But I have several friends and family members who are so afraid of the "A" word that they'd rather their children be different, delayed, get no therapy, etc so that they just don't have a label following them around for the rest of their lives. I see labels as a tool, something to use to get what we want.
BTW, my boys received no MMR with thimerosal shots and no HepB. We refused it with them and had to sign waivers. And guess what? Still autistic. I have friends who do NO VACCINATIONS and their kids are autistic.
I just go by what my son thinks. He knows he has "Some autism" and that his brother has "Alot of autism" and describes us as being "a little bit autistic." I bet if people really examined themselves, found out about their development (nearly impossible since people did not pay close attention to it the way they do now) and put 2 and 2 together, they'd realize that some of their children's traits are similar to theirs. The apple doesn't fall far from the tree!
PS - I have three brothers. All three had "speech delays" And were called, "midly mentally retarded" as toddlers. All three went to typical schools, college and hold down regular jobs. Two of them didn't talk until FIVE YEARS. One of them could read before the age of two. But they were still called retarded. And my family is surprised that my children and three nephews are on the spectrum?

Chuck said...

To be fair, I will voice my opinion on all questions:

1. Why are the numbers continuing to rise if the thimerosal has been reduced or discontinued in the process of making the vaccinations? Because the diagnosis criteria used to diagnose waxes and wanes between doctor’s/regions/countries along with the underlying causes (not just Thimerosal, but other neurotoxins/environmental/genetic mutations caused by? /

2. When are they going to go back and start from square 1 on how to diagnose Autistic children? Why not just go back to the DSM-III criteria and remove all this artificial diagnosis criteria and only diagnose the severely affected.

3. When are people and parent's going to accept that we are all born with amazing gifts that do not always conform to what we want them to be? Human history to date has never shown this to be plausible in the acceptance of the human condition.

4. When are doctors going to stop handing out the diagnosis of Autism like handing out the lollipops or stickers at the end of the visit? Most qualified doctors do not hand out diagnosis like this. It may take months to receive a qualified diagnosis from a qualified doctor.

5. When are educators going to learn how to truly educate our children as individuals and not as a group in whole? All children learn at a different pace....ALL CHILDREN. (See answer to #3)

6. When is the Autism community going to rally together instead of backstabbing, insinuations, and downright negating others on public and private forums? We all have a common bond and need to learn from each other.... (See answer to #3)

karjab30 said...

1. Why are the numbers continuing to rise if the thimerosal has been reduced or discontinued in the process of making the vaccinations?

I believe that it is the change in the critera. And just like ADD had it's day in the sun so to speak...now it's Autism's turn which includes more awareness which in turn will make more profsessionals aware and then ta-da....more diagnosis.

2. When are they going to go back and start from square 1 on how to diagnose Autistic children?

What exactly do you consider square one? Do you mean the old criteria? If that were the case my son would not have even been diagnosed and I would have let things go...like his speech or sensory issues because doctors would have been telling me that he will grow out of it etc..and I would have wanted to believe them.

3. When are people and parent's going to accept that we are all born with amazing gifts that do not always conform to what we want them to be?
I'm just worried about me and mine right now..lol I don't have time to worry about whether other people are being "good parents" and accepting enough.

4. When are doctors going to stop handing out the diagnosis of Autism like handing out the lollipops or stickers at the end of the visit?
I don't know personally any doctors that are. I would recommend for anyone that has a child with spectrum symptoms though to get a complete eval at a center that diagnosis autism every day. That way if you walk out of there with a sticker or a lolly....Well...you know it was for real.

5. When are educators going to learn how to truly educate our children as individuals and not as a group in whole? All children learn at a different pace....ALL CHILDREN.
I completely agree with this one. There are too many children getting the shaft in this country or swiped under the rug in our special education system. Don't get me started there..lol

6. When is the Autism community going to rally together instead of backstabbing, insinuations, and downright negating others on public and private forums? We all have a common bond and need to learn from each other....

I'm just nieve I guess. I've not been backstabbed yet. I am on a forum that is usually not backstabbing and very very supportive. I'm usually pretty neutral though in my expression. If I had more to say or stronger opinions then I would probably be seeing more of this. I think that people should question and debate (healthy debating of course) with one another though. Otherwise how would we learn about each others views?

So back to the original premise of my post....
In the near future, will everyone be able to have the diagnosis of Autism...?

I doubt it.

BTW...My name is Karrie. I have seen you on the message board that I am a member of. Autism pdd forums. I enjoy reading about your children. Take care.

Anonymous said...

My OT told me that the only thing labels are good for is getting services. She's correct. If the eldest had proper services... had a proper IEP done... he IMO may skim the out edges of ASD... but there is no need for the dx nor the fight to get it done.

The little one.... yes. But a child that except for some learning quirks, that has friends, socializes, is sociable, extremely smart...

Ticks me off. That scale is too broad and the education system uses it as an excuse not to extend IEP's and other services to all children.

S.

Dadof6Autistickids said...

We have recently (Nov 2006) received our fair share of labels 6 of 6 with ASD. But we were going literally NUTS trying to deal with our children. For us the labels give us a 'why' to the heck of our daily lives.

At least, since last week, the courts are now out of our lives!

Label us 'relived'.

Anonymous said...

I am an Aspie. Like roughly 30% of all AS people I have some savantist traits. My father is un dx'd. He was a brilliant Naval Cryptograper. You have never heard of his work because it is still in use and highly classified. My uncle, dad's brother is a well known artist and is much like me but a little different from my dad. My uncle's work can be seen at the Met and in the White House.

My grandfather had a train perseveration as a little boy so much so that great grandma would take him to the train yards in Minnesota. He grew up to be a train mechanic-during WWII he yard boss'd the munitions at the train yard (make one mistake and blow us all up) and retired from Mack.

Be who you are. Embrace it. If others do not see that beauty right away be gentle with them later when it comes to fruition. NT's often live in the squalor of mediocrity and are too blind to know it.

Such a pity.

~Sarah

Rachel said...

Your children are functioning?
They can't really be autistic, then. Autistics are *all* incapable of functioning in the real world.

/sarcasm

Kim Rossi Stagliano said...

Hi, J. At the end of the day, I AWLAYS say, most any of us Autism Moms would go to bat for another's kids - even when we disagree as grown ups. That bond is there, end of story.

This comment isn't about we "curebies" versus you "ND's" it's a thanks for your show of support, Mom to Mom.

Yours,

KS

Anonymous said...

let them talk, let them call you names.. I'm like you I don't care what they say or think! When people stare at my child because he's making silly noises or not acting in a way "they" feel is appropriate, I look them dead in the eyes and smile. You are such a good, proud woman and mother. Keep up the good work!