About Me

I am the proud mother of 6 children. 5 of our children have autism. We do not feel our world has ended, but just begun. We do not chelate, intervene biochemically, give shots of any kind, practice ABA, etc. We treat them as we treat any humanbeing. We treat them with kindness and respect and expect the same from them. They are exceptional children.

Blog Archive

Monday, September 25, 2006

Give Credit Where Credit Is Due...

I am not a complex woman...many of you have figured this out. I need very little in life to make me happy.
I get up every morning and hope life gives me little grief. Sometimes, I am not so lucky. Sometimes, I am.....
Today, I got lucky...
I had my daughter's yearly ARD, or Admission Review Dismissal meeting at school. This time, it was Erin's...our 9 (almost 10) year old's.
She started at this elementary school in 1999, at the age of 3. She went in a screaming, anti-social, sensory-deprived, autistic child. She needed constant supervision and care.
Today, she is a self-motivated, self-assured, loving, adored-by-all little girl.
The school tried to my husband and I all of the credit for this today. But, in my great widsom (wink, wink), I corrected them.
In a haze of tears, I told them that my child would not be anywhere near where she is today without them. Without them, she would have been put in an atmosphere of negativity.
With them, she has been allowed to learn and grow amongst peers who are not disabled. She has learned how to be accepting and they have learned to accept her. Through all of this, we have received a smart (straight A, honor roll) student, a loving daughter, a caring sister, and a honorable human.
As her 4th grade teacher so proudly told us, "Erin has a power within her that is unexplainable, she just is a very special human being....I am so glad to know her".
Through my tears, as I held the hand of a woman who has been her speech teacher for 7 years, I thanked these educators, therapists and women.....I gave them the credit they deserve....

No comments: